Whisky, Jazz and Fun(draising): An Afternoon Tea Party With a Difference

This July, Londoners will have the chance to attend an afternoon tea party with a difference …..

CharityIn place of Earl Grey or English Breakfast, will be a bespoke whisky cocktail served in tea cups, and a Brazilian jazz singer will entertain instead of a pianist or string quartet. What’s even better? All money raised on ticket sales and a silent auction will go directly to Marie Curie Cancer Care.

Hosted by Miss Whisky, in partnership with Dre Masso and Eric Yu’s latest cocktail bar sensation – Opium Bar at 16, Gerrard Street in China Town– the afternoon whisky tea party will run from 3- 7pm on Sunday, 21 July.

Providing the base for the delicious drinks are sponsors Glengoyne whisky, while Aline Stoffel – a Brazilian jazz songstress who has performed from stadiums in Rio de Janeiro to London ’s Ronnie Scott’s – will delight anyone with a penchant for sultry tunes.

“I am thrilled to be announcing this partnership between myself, Opium Bar, Glengoyne and Aline Stoffel – to have so many amazing people on board to raise funds for this vital charity is absolutely wonderful,” said Miss Whisky founder and editor, Alwynne Gwilt, who has volunteered with the charity’s Hampstead Hospice in London since 2011.

Marie Curie Cancer Care provides support to terminally ill patients and their families and its hospice nurses do incredible work in the community, often allowing patients to pass away peacefully in their homes rather than in a hospital.

In the past year, 31,000 patients were cared for by the 2,700 nurses, doctors and healthcare professionals employed by the charity, making it the biggest provider of hospice beds outside of the NHS. But, without the generous donations of the public, the charity would simply not be able to run. Around 70 per cent of its funding comes from the community, with the other 30 per cent coming from the NHS.

Speaking on the importance of events such as this, Natasha Sadaoui – community fundraiser at the Marie Curie Hospice, Hampstead – said: “The Hospice provides expert care and the best possible quality of life, for people with cancer and other terminal illnesses, and support for their families, completely free of charge. It costs us £5.4 million a year to run just the Hampstead Hospice and we just wouldn’t be able to provide such a service without the support from the local community and people like Alwynne!”

When Alwynne was 13, she lost her mother to cancer and unfortunately her mother’s last days were spent in a hospital rather than at the home she loved. “I only wish she would have had the support of a charity like Marie Curie at that time. The work they do for families and those patients in their final days is incredible and I want to do all I can to ensure other families receive this type of care if they end up in a similar situation,” she said.

Speaking on why Glengoyne has decided to participate, Neil Boyd – UK Commercial Director of Ian Macleod Distillers Ltd, the brand’s owner – said: “Marie Curie Cancer Care is an exceptional charity bringing much needed relief and support to families across the UK. We hope that our Teapot Dram can add to the enjoyment of this fun and original charitable event.”

Tickets for the event are now on sale through Miss Whisky’s Just Giving Page (https://www.justgiving.com/miss-whisky), which has been set up to ensure attendees avoid ticket charges and to allow the charity to benefit from Gift Aid.

Tickets include a bespoke whisky cocktail and the concert, and are £13 ahead of time. Those wishing to purchase them simply need donate that amount through the page’s donation function and fill in their name in the “Donated By” section to be added to the guest list.

Tickets will also be available on the door at a cost of £15. All money raised from ticket sales will go directly to the charity. Donations in excess are of course also wholeheartedly welcome.

A silent auction featuring lots of delectable goodies will also be running on the day. Anyone wishing to donate items for it should get in touch with Alwynne before the 16th July. So come along and make your Sunday afternoon tea even more special this July – it all makes a big difference!

For further details, press queries or to discuss donations for the silent auction, please contact Alwynne on: Email: info@misswhisky.com or through Twitter on @themisswhisky

Comments

comments

Powered by Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *