Wednesday, October 25, an evening with an attractive foursome from Wemyss Malts. Vanilla Burst, Treacle Chest, Spice King and the Spice King Old Fashioned cocktail. All delivered in one box with one goal, to make it an unforgettable evening for the tasters, one to remember.
They were separated after the delivery for The Old Fashioned was placed into the fridge to cool down.
I tried these beauties a while ago, but there is something new to discover every time, with every nip you take. And it was no different from this tasting, it was once again an exploration with new discoveries. Perfect drams for one or more episodes of Star Trek, if you asked me.
Vanilla Burst (46%)
- Color: Amber
- Nose: Vanilla, figs, white chocolate with rice, lemon, mandarin, light fruit, leafy, mango, toffee, hints of lavender, cereal, grassy, salty hints, fresh tobacco and flower honey
- Taste: Sticky, apple pie with a layer of custard. Spicy and followed by some coffee and warm toffee. Fresh, honey, sultana’s, mandarin, lemon, red berries, tobacco and hints of lemon, lime and wet leafs with a salty edge
- Finish: Warm and fresh
Treacle Chest (46%)
- Color: Burnished
- Nose: Chopped dark chocolate, walnuts, leather, medicine, antique wax, oily, wet wood and burned nuts
- Taste: Warm, red fruit, banana, warm fruitiness, tingling, and hints of different kind of warm nuts covered with honey and mocha
- Finish: Tingling, long and warm
Spice King (46%)
- Color: Deep gold
- Nose: Oranges, citrus, toffee, coffee, lovely Salty as well … lovely dutch ‘zoute dropjes’ at the nostalgic candy store, soft and hints of bubblegum
- Taste: Spicy with nutmeg, toasted barley and lightly charred oak, nutmeg, pepper, cinnamon, toffee and warm cake, also a complexity of different spices
- Finish: Rich, intense with coconut oil and malt on the tail
Spice King – The Old Fashioned cocktail
- Color: Copper gold
- Nose: A lot of oranges, brown syrup, warm, sweet ginger, saltiness, cinnamon, salty and pepper influences, banana, mango
- Taste: citrus, pomegranate, cloves, banana, tropical influences with smashed mango, toffee, caramel, pepper
- Finish: a lovely taste! And cool like it should be
(You can add a slice of orange if you like or add some ice-cubes if you wish, but I like it pure!)
“Don’t be silly, there is always time for a cocktail, darling”
If you like to create The Old Fashioned, here is what you need:
- 50 ml Wemyss Malts Spice King (or another Wemyss whisky if you please)
- 15 ml simple sugar syrup or a brown sugar cube
- 2 to 3 dashes of bitters
- Stir for 30 seconds
- Add an orange peel to garnish
It was an evening of laughter and a lot of fun, lots of different views on the whiskies and a perfect finish with the cocktail of Wemyss Malts. Curious about the thoughts of others about this tweet-tasting, search for #wemyssmalts on twitter. And if you wish to join a tweet tasting, visit The Whisky Wire and give it a shot!
Powered by Facebook Comments