The Exceptional, when you look up this word in the dictionary, you will find that this means, extremely good or impressive in a way that is unusual, but also more or greater than usual. And let’s not forget, unusual and not likely to happen or exist very often.
This ‘The Exceptional’ Tweet tasting was stunning. I was really looking forward to this night (October 5th at 7pm BST). This night we sampled the 1st edition of the blend, the 2nd edition of the Malt and the 3rd edition of the Grain. These 3 are all bottled in 2016 and created by Don Sutcliffe.
Lets move on to the tasting notes.
The Exceptional Grain (43%)
- Color: Lovely Golden
- Nose: Sweet, peach, coconut, pears and hints of vanilla, fresh, caramel
- Taste: Warm, oily, banana, mango, fruity, a complexity of mint, pecan and very fresh
- Finish: Lovely fresh
The Exceptional Grain, is a blend of very special aged Scotch grain whiskies, selected from several different distilleries, each cask chosen fot its distinctive and memorable characteristics. Comprising of whiskies from North British, Loch Lomond, Strathclyde, Cameronbridge & Carsebridge distilleries. Finished in first-fill sherry casks.This one includes 33yr Carsebtidge & 32yr Cameronbridge.
The Exceptional Malt (43%)
- Color: Sweet golden
- Nose: Caramel, popcorn, red berries, strawberries, chocolate and walnuts
- Taste: Buttery, tropical, mango, peach, warm cake but dry in the mouth, spicy
- Finish: Warm, dry and tingling
The Exceptional Malt, a blend of 11 malts from Glenfarclas, Ben Nevis, Balvenie, Kininvie, Glenfiddich, Alt-a’Bhainne, Auchroisk, Glenallachie,Westport, Speyside & Macallan. Finished in first-fill sherry casks. This one includes: 22yr Auchroisk, 21yr Glenallachie, 14yr Westport, 13yr Speyside, 30yr Macallan.
The Exceptional Blend (43%)
- Color: Nice golden
- Nose: Oranges, grapefruit, pepper, stewed pears, apples, citrus and hints of cashews
- Taste: Spicy, dried fruits, mango and strangely enough Marmite
- Finish: Lovely sticky finish
The Exceptional Blend, a blend of grain whiskies inclusive, 33yr from Cameron Bridge & malts inc Glenfarclas, Ben Nevis, Balvenie, Kininvie, Glenfiddich, Alt-a’Bhainne, Auchroisk, Glenallachie & Macallan.This is approximately 60% Grain / 40% Malt.
I had a great and interesting evening with my whisky friends. An evening with new discoveries and new experiences. If you like to know how it went, follow the story via Twitter.
Grain is the winner for me this evening. All of them are winners, but this one, stole my heart ..
Thank you Steve for this extraordinary and exceptional tasting.
Powered by Facebook Comments