On Thursday 24th September at 8pm local time the ninth annual Laphroaig live 2015 as broadcasted live on the web from the island of Islay. This evening 4 very special expressions were lined up to be nosed and taste.
The one off’ Laphroaig 15 yr – The official 200th Expression, Laphroaig Cairdeas 2015 (distilled using only the original small stills), Laphroaig 21 yr – Created for the Friends of Laphroaigs 21st Birthday and a unique Laphroaig 32 yr 100% sherry matured- A very rare, special expression.
My tasting notes of these 4 expressions:
Laphroaig 15 yr, the official 200th expression
- Color: Dark and rich
- Nose: Sweet tropics, with hints of smashed papaya, banana and mango, complexitiy of smokiness, citrus, fresh vanilla and salt.
- Taste: Deep smokiness, nuts, mango, banana all mixed up with warm honey and caramel
- Finish: Lovely medium
Laphroaig Cairdeas 2015
- Color: Amber
- Nose: Sweetness of red apple, creamy, citrus, hints of peanut-butter (I know it is a bit weird), salty and hints of drop (licorice), peachy.
- Taste: Sweet, smashed red apple combined with the citrus, peach, nuts, salt covered with vanilla, basil and honey
- Finish: Medium warm
Laphroaig 21 yr
- Color: Sunny
- Nose: Caramel, sherry, red fruit combined in a bowl and all mixed up, sweet, nutty, smokey. Tropical hints, of mango, banana, lemon and citrus,
- Taste: Fresh, honey, salty and very tropical with a complexity of coconuts, mango, lemon and squeezes citrus
- Finish: Heart warming
Laphroaig 32 yr
- Color: Sunset golden
- Nose: Sherry, red fruit, red berries, cherries, green apple, sweet, warm and a complexity of warm caramel. Reminds me of summer cake, fresh.
- Taste: Spicy, sweet, hints of wood, a complexity of sherry, salt and peat
- Finish: Warm, like at a fireplace in the wintertime
“Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire: it is the time for home.”
― Edith Sitwell
Powered by Facebook Comments