MackNair’s Lum Reek is a combination of peated Islay and Speyside malts married together with older GlenAllachie. It had been matured in GlenAllachie warehouses before the final blending by Master Distiller, Billy Walker. One of the most respected blenders in the Scotch Whisky Industry.
The new MacNair’s Lum Reek whiskies, are inspired by the famous Scottish toast ‘lang may yer lum reek’, which literally means ‘long may your chimney smoke’ and is used to wish someone a long life and prosperity. The whiskies are also inspired by the creative spirit of Glaswegian entrepreneur, expert distiller and blender, Harvey MacNair who founded the original company in 1837.
All the whisky in this tasting are bottled at natural color, non-chill filtered and 46% ABV and above.
Let the peat fun begin.
MacNairs Lum Reek peated NAS – 46%
- Color: Pale straw
- Nose: A lot of warmth, honey, mandarin, sultana’s, vanilla, sweet peach soaked in pear juice, fresh picked green apples and a hint of charcoal, also hints of smoked wood, fresh mint leafs, oranges, grapefruit, coffee and a complexity of black pepper
- Taste: Very warm, oily, smooth, hints of cigar smoke, red fruit, cherry, walnuts, creamy custard, dark chocolate, honey covering sultana’s an pieces of mentos mints
- Finish: Sweet, fizzy feeling, oily and a spicy after bite
Blended using a combination of whiskies matured in first fill Bourbon, Oloroso, Virgin Oak and Red Wine casks.
MacNairs Lum Reek peated 12 yr old – 46%
- Color: Pale gold
- Nose: fresh fruity tones, fresh green apple, mandarin, cinnamon, white chocolate, lemon, hints of medicine influences, wet salty rocks, peppers, a forest after a heavy rainfall, coffee, bubblegum, pineapple and salted pistachio
- Taste: Loads of white and black pepper, mandarin, caramel, salt, soft toffee, smoky touch, complexity of grapefruit, lemon, lime, citrus, apricot, bitterness of dark chocolate, with a finish of a huge fire on the beach
- Finish: lovely smooth mouthfeel, completely different from the first sip
MacNair’s Lum Reek Peated 12 Years Old: Blended using a combination of whiskies matured in first fill Bourbon, Red Wine and Pedro Ximenez casks
MacNairs Lum Reek peated 21 yr old – 48%
- Color: Lovey gold
- Nose: Pears, brown sugar, vanilla, blossom honey, lavender, fresh picked cherries, strawberries, raspberries, mango, maple syrup, fresh made mocha pie, cucumber, cinnamon, basil, pineapples, cigar-smoke, buttery, apple strudel, kitchen salty and pepper mix
- Taste: Fresh tones with a spicy edge, sweetness of red fruit like, red apple, raspberries, mango, walnuts, almonds, mint-leafs, soaked layer cake, caramel, hints of smokiness, peat, burned wood (yes, licked it once), buttery smoothness. Mixed mandarin, grapefruit, spinach, custard and hints of dark chocolate and ginger
- Finish: Warm and sweet, but getting a dry feeling fast
MacNair’s Lum Reek Peated 21 Years Old: Blended using a combination of whiskies matured in Oloroso, Virgin Oak and Red Wine casks.
No water needed, but a drop or two can make a huge difference!
Curious about other amazing online tastings? Visit The Whisky Wire for more information and sign up. And if you wish to read more about this tasting, visit Twitter and find the tweets of other participants who joined this stunning tasting.
Wish to know more about website it’s that simple!, visit their
Powered by Facebook Comments