First they pot-distil from locally-grown barley, then re-distil the spirit in Puffing Billy to turn it into vodka. Regular filtration would strip away the character and texture of the barley, so instead the spirit vapours are steamed through charcoal
inside the still itself rather than filtered as a liquid.
Puffing Billy is the only vodka in the world made this way, and the result is brimful of character with an incredible creamy mouthfeel.
Puffing Billy Steam Vodka – Steam Smoothed. Never Filtered.
This is completely different from the whisky I write about. In the past I wrote about vodka, but this is a special one. Made at the Borders Distillery, a production facility in the Scottish Borders town of Hawick.
The tasting notes:
Puffing Billy Steam Vodka – 40%
- Nose: Sharp dry, pepperish, citrus, lemon, mandarin, bittersweet, tropical influences, like banana, coconuts, mango
- Taste: Soft, creamy, mango, warm, very interesting mouthfeel, pepper, sticky, again the tropics, that are landing on the tongue, slowly
- Finish: Smooth and creamy / silk
This is an unfiltered malted barley vodka. The spirit vapors are steamed through charcoal rather than filtered as a liquid. Again, the only vodka in the world made in this way. what makes it rather interesting, doesn’t it.
For the curious me, I looked up the word Puffing and it is not what I was expecting ….
Puffing is generally an expression or exaggeration made by a salesperson or found in an advertisement that concerns the quality of goods offered for sale.
But, this vodka is named for the still which plays a key role in its unique production method. Puffing Billy Steam Vodka is a drink, that made my heart glow. I have never had any vodka, that was this smooth and with a silky lining.
This is a blog, part of the Puffing Billy Flash Blog. I was invited by Steve at The Whisky Wire to join this event. When you look for the hashtag #PuffingBilly over on Twitter or Instagram, you will find more posts about Puffing Billy Flash Blog.
Oehhh don’t forget to try this!
- Pour 25ml chilled Puffing Billy Steam Vodka straight from the freezer into a chilled shot glass
- Take a pepper mill and crack some black pepper over the glass
- Garnish with a Cornichon pickle
Powered by Facebook Comments