On the night of December 5 there was an opportunity to try 5 new expressions, The Jura Sherry Cask Collection. The Jura Sherry Cask Collection, is comprised of five whiskies; The Bay, The Loch, The Road, The Paps and The Sound, which have been matured in ex-bourbon barrels before being finished in Pedro Ximénez casks for different periods of time.
Each whisky has it’s own character, what makes it a big adventure for the taste buds. From The Sound to The Paps, it sounds like a Netflix series, and a good one too.
Someone once told me, that you’ve got to find your own path in life. For some reason this tasting reminded me of that. A path I enjoyed walking and widened up my world.
The Sound – 42.5%
- Color: Sweet golden
- Nose: Marzipan, sultana’s, mandarin, grapefruit, hints of tobacco, red fruit, salty, hints of green pepper, smoky influences, warm custard straight from the oven. Very fruity, caramel as well … together with raspberries and Pepsi cola.
- Taste: Fireball chew-gum, sticky, custards, red fruit, raspberries, strawberries, lavender, apples, butter, vanilla, honeycomb, walnuts and woody influences and something smoky. Again mandarin, citrus and a complexity of honey melon
- Finish: Warm and sticky
Matured in American white oak ex-bourbon barrels and finished in casks that previously held 15 year old Pedro Ximénez sherry. The Sound, celebrates a northern strait of water that separates Jura from the Scottish mainland. Home to the Gulf of Corryvreckan, a notorious whirlpool lying in wait for the unwary.
The Bay 12 yr- 44%
- Color: Copper
- Nose: Fresh, ginger, pineapple, banana, kiwi, bubblegum, warm butter mixed with small pieces of cinnamon, hints of a tropical salty breeze with a red pepper touch. Mandarin, mint chocolate as well
- Taste: Grassy, hits you in an instant with an attack of pepper, sugar, toffee, honey, sweet mango, citrus, orange peel, coffee beans, wax perhaps, dark chocolate filled with soft oranges, ginger and sultana’s and pear juice
- Finish: Lovely sweet after some hot pepper
Matured in American white oak ex-bourbon barrels and finished in casks that previously held 15 year old Pedro Ximénez sherry. Sheltered by a string of islands, ‘The Bay’ is where the islanders meet the sea. White sands in the north, the jetty overlooked by the distillery in the south, life around the bay is marked by the coming and going of the tides.
The Road – 43.6%
- Color: Sweet golden
- Nose: Warmer, a lot of red fruit is hitting you, warm strawberry, blue berries, raisins, warm toffee, lavender, cinnamon, ginger, citrus, banana, pepper, wet salt on the rocks, spicy touch, fudge, dark sugar with white chocolates and coconuts
- Taste: Peat, cardamon, dark chocolate with mints, raisins, lovey sweet pepper, ice cream with a layer of caramel and chopped walnuts with cappuccino .
- Finish: Warm and smooth
Matured in American white oak ex-bourbon barrels and finished in casks that previously held 20 year old Pedro Ximénez sherry.The Road, inspired by the islands one road to navigate by. Emerging out of the wilderness, the long, overgrown trail traces the shoreline heading south and leading to the Distillery.
The Loch – 44.5%
- Color: Warm sherry
- Nose: Soft, medicinal, well balanced with citrus, vanilla, blue berries, hints of red pepper, spicy, toffee warmed up by a cozy fire, custard with pineapple, mango and complexity of grapefruit, dark chocolate and orange peel. And it reminded me of red fruit milkshake with whip-cream
- Taste: Fresh and a huge spicy hit right after. Very surprising for there is sweet bite to it.. Vanilla, bubblegum, honey, toffee, oranges, raspberries, banana, fresh coffee, pineapple chopped in pieces and covered in bitter dark chocolate
- Finish: Warm, chocolate and buttery
The Loch, matured in American white oak ex-bourbon barrels and finished in casks that previously held 30 year old Pedro Ximénez sherry. The Loch, inspired by Market Loch, found 1000ft above sea level. The pure waters are said to bring Jura Whisky to life
The Paps – 45.6%
- Color: Mahogany
- Nose: It opens the nose very lovely. I get hints of butter, chocolate sweets with a center of oranges, peach, poached pears, banana’s, vanilla, lemon-zest, pistachio nuts, leather polish, complexity of figs, mentos, apples soaked in caramel
- Taste: Citrus, warm apples covered with caramel. Vanilla, a bite of pepsi, walnuts, ginger, sultana’s, sweet honey, dark chocolate, walker shortbread, oranges, very soft after a spicy sip, smoky, tropical fruits, papaya, passion fruit and a lot of sherry notes
- Finish: Warm, sweet and lingering
Matured in American white oak ex-bourbon barrels and finished in casks that previously held 40 year old Pedro Ximénez sherry. The Paps, inspired by the mountains, which tower over the landscape for miles around
If you like to see what others were thinking go to Twitter and read all about this enjoyable and colourful evening.
Powered by Facebook Comments