A new house style of whisky, featuring a new combination of sweetness from American white oak ex-bourbon barrels and a hint of subtle smoke, with each further enchanted by special selected casks from around Europe.
Time to go on the road, with one distillery and one purpose; Discovering Jura, a distillery operating on the island of Jura to the north of Islay.
A nice fact, before diving into the tasting notes is the following. Jura has a large population of about 5,000 deer. A lot more than the people who live there, but the whiskey is anyway highly recommended.
The tasting notes:
Jura Journey – 40%
- Color: Sweet gold
- Nose: Vanilla, honey, figs, citrus, grapefruit, green apples, soft toffee, salty, hints of black pepper, lemon with sharp edges, cinnamon and a complexity of brown sugar candy
- Taste: Pepper, salty, spicy, apples, sweet, honey, nuts, sticky, hints of citrus, peach, poached pears, hints of ginger and warm toffee with a sticky finish
- Finish: A sweet bite and a bitter edge.
Matured in American white oak ex-bourbon barrels.
Jura 10 yr old – 40%
- Color: Warm gold
- Nose: Sweet, honey, lemon, small hints of mint-leafs, red fruit, orange-peel, pure chocolate sprinkled with small pieces of cinnamon and caramel. Smoky edges, almonds and sultana’s
- Taste: pepper, a salty touch, a bomb of flavors too. Dried apples, nutmeg, bubblegum, lemon, red berries, warm dark chocolate, smokey, coconuts, nut-cake and sweet soft toffee
- Finish: Sweet warm and long
Matured in American white oak ex-bourbon barrels with an aged Oloroso Sherry cask finish.
Jura 12 yr old – 40%
- Color: Lovely gold
- Nose: Strawberries, raspberries, banana’s, green tea influences, caramel, fresh cinnamon, wet leafs after a coupe of hours of rain, plum, honeysuckle and fennel
- Taste: Red fruit, peach, melon, pepper, warm caramel with a salty edge, raspberry jelly, smoky, slices of oranges, green apples with a layer of tobacco … sort of. There is a lot to discover here. A complexity of nuts and gooseberries
- Finish: Tingling and sticky
Matured in American white oak ex-bourbon barrels with a further enhancement from the finest aged Oloroso Sherry casks.
Jura Seven Wood – 42%
- Color: Soft gold
- Nose: Candy-store from when I was younger, licorice, raisins, peanut rocks, toast, warm croissants, toffee, red and green apples, truffle, lavender, roses, fresh whip-cream, sweet and soft
- Taste: Dry, black pepper, sweet apple pie, oranges, milk chocolate, oat bran, hints of port, ginger, hazelnut, Hints of wine-gums, cloves and the finish is sweet with a wee hint of pepper and salt. But let’s not forget about the warmth and licorice
- Finish: Dry, warm and lingering
Crafted in seven selected oak barrels, first-fill American White Oak ex-bourbon barrels; Six French Oak casks, Limousin, Tronçais, Allier, Vosges, Jupilles & Les Bertranges.
Jura 18 yr old – 44%
- Nose: Black berries, light, creamy, buttery, green apples, kiwi, caramel, dark sugar combined with orange slices and covered in real pure chocolate with a hint of strawberries, bay-leafs and cloves
- Taste: Strawberries, raspberries, sweet, hop, hints of fresh figs, aniseed, very fresh oranges, cloves, mint leafs, nutty influences, bubblegum, peach, pears, plums and milky cofffee
- Finish: Fresh, sticky and warm
Matured in American white oak ex-bourbon barrels with a finish in fine red wine casks (Premier Grand Cru Classé Bordeaux barriques).
An amazing tasting with an adventurous range of Jura Whisky. All very surprising, but Seven Wood was the roller-coaster of the evening, what an amazing dram. The palate just hit me like a fireball for there was so much to discover. Very confusing and that is the reason why this whisky is my number one. It’s sweet, soft, creamy and even a little bit bitter. I mean it when I say; see a bottle buy the bottle.
Curious about other amazing online tastings? Visit The Whisky Wire for more information and sign up. And if you wish to read more about this tasting, visit Twitter and find the tweets of other participants.
Powered by Facebook Comments