Recently I received a group of friends by mail. Five sample bottles and one came a few days later, small friends sent by Gordon & MacPhail. A group of six close friends, that opened their friendship to me and and let me take a look into their hearts and souls.
All part of the believe of “The Wood Makes the Whisky” is to show the key element in the maturation process.
“Every details is important,
from branch to barrel”
“If we didn’t have casks, we wouldn’t have whisky”
Located in the north-east of Scotland in the heart of the world famous whisky producing region of Speyside, Gordon & MacPhail is an independent family owned and managed firm which has been bottling Single Malt Whiskies for over 120 years.
Gordon & MacPhail is owned and directed by the third and fourth generation of the Urquhart family and employs over 130 people from its base in Elgin.
Let’s go to the tasting notes of a great range of whisky with each their own unique character.
1. Connoisseurs Choice Ledaig 1999 (46%)
- Color: Medium gold
- Nose: Mentol, green smashed apple, mandarin, citrus juice, spicy, mint, lemon, fresh
- Taste: Citrus, spice, apple juice that has been mixed with lemon and pepper
- Finish: Medium and warm
2. Connoisseurs Choice Benriach 1997 (46%)
- Color: Light gold
- Nose: Fine spicy aromas, cereal, .sherry notes, hints of nuts, almond and hints of fresh red fruits
- Taste: Strong flavor, with hints of pepper, toffee, marzipan and fruit.
- Finish: Long and fruity
3. Connoisseurs Choice Tormore 1997 (46%)
- Color: Pale gold
- Nose: A complext smell of fruit with hints of warm toffee, apple, notes of smashed vanilla and pineapple
- Taste: Warm, creamy toffee, tropical fruitiness with a hints of green apple and honey.
- Finish: Long and creamy
4. Connoisseurs Choice Tomatin 1997 (46%)
- Color: Pale gold
- Nose: Tropical sweetness like banana, pineapple and mango. Green apples, very fruity and very floral
- Taste: Ripe smashed banana, orange peel, chopped mango and apple mixed with warm pieces of chocolate
- Finish: Medium and well balanced
5.. The MacPhail’s collection from Bunnahabhain Distillery 2006 (43%)
- Color: Sunny gold
- Nose: Vanilla, honey, orange, mandarin, apricot and hints of banana and green fruit like apple and peeled kiwi in a strange way
- Taste: Sweet vanilla and very tropical, fresh lime and melon with hints of warm pure chocolate
- Finish: Lovely medium and warm
6. Rare Vintage Strathisla 1967 (43%)
- Color: Lovely gold
- Nose: Sherry notes, sultatna fruitiness, marzipan covered with fresh rubbed mint leaves
- Taste: A little spicy with sherry notes and a complexity of sultanas and orange covering a warm cake, fresh from the oven
- Finish: Lovely warm and very pleasant
For more information about these fabulous and sometimes complex whiskies and more, please visit Gordon & MacPhail
Powered by Facebook Comments